Monday, May 19, 2014

North Texas Normal College

I was again playing on Ancestry.com looking for anything new on my Great-grandpa James Alton Manire. I came across a 1916 yearbook for North Texas Normal School  .. "The Yucca" it was called. It showcased James Alton Manire's name under the Organizations...  the Montague County Club. It also listed 2 of his brothers, Charles and Ira.

Knowing how yearbooks usually work I wondered if there was any class pictures of the 3 brothers. I scoured the pages (and there were alot of them) until I found Charles in the upper class men pictures. Ira and James were both in the Freshman class for Language.

It's really kewl to see the old pictures of them in their late teens. And it's interesting how much my grandpa looked like his father James Alton Manire.

This was a awesome find but not nearly as awesome as finding the info for Miss Peggy Marie Manire (Grandpa's lil sister), but that's another story.

** side note:  There was an Ivan Coleman (female) also in the yearbook. She was also a member of the Montague County Club. Could this be the daughter of Martha Elizabeth Manire and J. B. Coleman? Supposedly Arthur C. Manire and "Aunt Jenny" went to collect the Coleman children when Martha died in 1906. Ivan would be James' cousin I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment